There is no denying, South Africans love avocados.
SA’s first avocado orchards were planted in 1933 and many believe avos came to the continent with Dutch settlers from their West India colonies as early as the 1600s.
Locally, our avocado growing season is in full production with a variety available from June up until November. Seen as a winter bonus, especially in this time of Covid-19, avocados are all about immune support.
So, plate, palate and physical well-being, the mighty avo ticks all the boxes! So, watch this space for some more avocado recipes this month.
Mexican Chicken Tray Bake
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 jar tomato salsa (may substitute with 1 can chopped tomato & onion)
- 500 g pumpkin or butternut, seeded, peeled, cut into wedges
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 red and yellow peppers, seeded, thinly sliced
- 200 g mixed cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon avocado or olive oil
- 1 avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced
For the chilli-lime cream:
- 160 g sour cream
- 2 teaspoons chilli or hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Fresh coriander
- Additional mashed avocado or guacamole to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C. In a large bowl toss the chicken thighs and drumsticks with the taco seasoning.
- Spoon tomato salsa over base of a casserole dish. Arrange the pumpkin, onion, peppers and tomatoes over salsa. Top with chicken mixture. Drizzle with oil.
- Bake, turning occasionally, for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. Set aside for 5 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make the chilli-lime cream, combine sour cream, chilli sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Season.
- Arrange the avocado and coriander over the chicken mixture in the pan. Serve with the chilli-lime cream and extra guacamole.
*Recipe courtesy of the South African Avocado Growers’ Association (SAAGA).